Thursday 12 December 2013

Chapped lips

Chapped lips
Chapped lips, everyone suffers from it. Yes, even models. Take a look at paparazzi photos or behind the scenes of any fashion show. I would say that I probably suffer from the worst case of chapped lips. As a guy, dry, cracked lips is as attractive as it is on a girl. With the winter season among us, my skin is at it's worse. I've come up with a solution to make the worst lips look amazing. A lot of products don't seem to work as well as you think. Vaseline which is commonly used for cracked and chapped lips, but the main component of it is Petroleum Jelly. Petroleum Jelly is as good for you as it sounds. It's a by product from crude oil. It's only used in cosmetics and beauty products because it's cheap and economically ideal to use. The way Petroleum Jelly products 'protects' and 'moisturises' your skin is by pretending to. The jelly forms a barrier atop of your chapped skin, the Petroleum isn't very natural (unless you count it coming from a shellfish from over 10 million years ago as natural) so your skin doesn't absorb anything to help it heal the layer of skin. This advice doesn't just apply to chapsticks and lip balm, always look at the ingredients before buying things like beauty products.


What I use to protect my lips is NIVEA Lip Butter. The ingredients in it are natural, and they don't include cheap ingredients like Petroleum Butter. It has Shea Butter, which contains vitamin A, E and F. Vitamin A and E help to maintain and keep your skin clear and healthy. While vitamin acts as a skin protector and rejuvenates the skin. The exact lip butter I use is NIVEA Lip Butter Original. What can I say, I'm a simple guy. I've tried different flavour chapsticks in the past (not NIVEAs) but I found that the flavours made me chew my lips more, and plus nobody wants green lips froma watermelon flavoured chapstick! From what I've read from reviews, the flavoured Lip Butter from NIVEA don't actually show up as much, the Raspberry Rose Kiss and the other flavours are in a natural shade. The Rasberry Rose Kiss has a very soft pink shade, which isn't visible on your lips and even enhances the natural tone of your skin.

Other ways to fight chapped lips is to stay hydrated. Vita Coco coconut water is a great daily drink to stay hydrated. When I drink it, a few days later I feel my skin become smoother and softer (not quite sure if that's what a girls like in a guy) and I had fewer issues with my lips.

Remember to stay hydrated this winter and protect your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment